Coconut chutney is an all time favorite chutney for me. I could have it for Idli, dosa, pesarattu or even for chapati. It is a simple side dish for breakfast and could be ready in a jiffy when you are running out of time in the mornings. I have seen some storing the chutney in refrigerator for using it for the next 3 to 4 days. But i like to prepare and eat it fresh on the same day.
Cuisine: Indian Recipe Category: Side dish for Breakfast / Chutneys
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook time: 10 mins Serves: 4
1 cup Grated coconut
1 small piece Ginger
4 to 5 no.s Green chillies
Small gooseberry size Tamarind
Salt to taste
Water as needed to grind
1 tbsp Coconut oil / any vegetable oil
1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
1 sprig Curry leaves (optional)
- Grind all the ingredients under the ‘Ingredients table’ into a smooth paste. Transfer it into a small bowl.
- Temper with the items given under the ‘To Temper’ table. And mix well.
- Serve with Idli, dosa or pesarattu.
- You can keep the chutney thick in consistency or in a thin watery consistency. It all depends upon one’s taste and likings.
- You can use red chillies instead of green chillies while grinding. It gives a different flavor. But i always like coconut chutney ground with green chillies.
- Roasted gram dal or Pottukadalai can also be used.
- Optionally, lemon juice can be used instead of tamarind.